Saturday, December 6, 2008

Photos of Russian Ship in Panama Canal

I found a few photographs of the Russian navy ship, the Admiral Chabanenko going through the Panama Canal. It was a night-time crossing and I think the pics are pretty nice. The links are below.

Reuters

Times of India Slide Show

Looked pretty cool. I went through The Ditch back in 1989. I thought it was a pretty big deal. We went through with a lot of security. I remember that we had a helicoptor or two with us the whole time and a few Boston Whalers equipped with big guns and filled with some pretty mean looking dudes. I was 20 years old at the time. Seeing all the security was the first time it was driven home for me that we were a serious military target and it was kind of a sobering experience for me.

Of course, I just loved the experience of going through the Panama Canal. It was definitely one of the more memorable days that I spent in the navy. Some pictures from navsource.org below show my first boat, the USS Shark (SSN-591) transiting the canal in '89. I don't know if I appear in any of these pictures, but I remember being on the fairwater planes while going through one of the locks. I really enjoyed being able to go out on the fairwater planes when we were on the surface. If you ask me, the classes of submarines without easy access to the fairwater planes really shortchange their sailors.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Update 11:00 p.m. : Looks like the links to the pics of my old boat may not be working. If you want to look, go to navsource.org and look at pics for the USS Shark (SSN-591). Sorry.

2 comments:

blunoz said...

That's pretty weird seeing pictures of a Russian ship in the canal. I just went through on the MSP back in July 2007. When I looked at the picture of the Russian ship in the canal, I could hear in my head the "ching ching" of the bell on the "mules" driving along the sides of the locks.

Have you read David McCullough's book on the Panama Canal? I have not yet, but I hear it's good. I have read a few of McCullough's other books and really enjoyed them.

Navy Blue Cougar said...

I might have to check that book out. The trip through the canal is perhaps the one day that stands out above all the other days that I spent in the navy. Definitely cool.