Thursday, December 4, 2008

The President (elect) is on the Line...No...Really...Don't Hang Up

This is a funny little story about Republican Congresswoman Ros-Lehtinen receiving a phone call from Barack Obama. She figured it was probably a prank caller from a radio station pretending to be Mr. Obama trying to embarrass her and hung up a couple of times before he finally got to speak to her.


This kind of reminded me of a story that I heard when I was younger. My father was acquainted with a man named Ronald Reagan. I don't know if his name was actually spelled the same as the former President's name or not, but it sounded the same.

Doing anything over the phone became very difficult for him. One of the most difficult things for him to do was to place a call for hotel reservations.

Ronald: "I need a room for three nights."
Hotel: "Very well, sir. May I have your name?"
Ronald: "Ronald Reagan."
Hotel: CLICK...dial tone....

He learned that if he wanted to book a room or a flight over the phone, he would have to start off by saying "This isn't a joke, this is my real name, so please don't hang up on me." It wasn't so bad when Reagan was merely an actor, but after being elected President, the whole thing balooned to cause him grief when he needed to call someone.

Must be how Michael Bolton felt in Office Space.

No comments: