Friday, December 12, 2008

Let It Snow

I finished up my errands in the nick of time today. We had snow on the ground in November the last two years, and in both cases, it stayed on the ground for several months into the new year. This year, we have had nothing but a little bit of rain.

Today, we are under a winter storm warning. I tried to figure out what time it would start snowing and it appeared that it would not start until close to midnight. The rest of the weekend and well into next week, we are supposed to be going into a deep freeze. The temperatures are supposed to drop from the mid-thirties down into the single digits over the next few days.

It gets kind of tough to drive around here when it starts snowing. Pullman has a population of about 25,000 people. The Pullman campus has about 17,500 students. This results in a disproportionate number of drivers in the 19-24 age range. Like anybody with a whopping 3-8 years of driving experience under their belt, they know how to drive much better (and much more aggressively) than everyone else on the road. They are also talking on their cell phones constantly. Throw in some snow and ice, and the smart move is to stay off the road (and the sidewalks) when it starts snowing around here.

I decided to run out and complete a few errands before I hunkered down for the weekend. I was pretty well stocked up on food in preparation for the first big snowfall of the year, but I wanted to grab a few fresh veggies. I decided I better get my Christmas mailing done as well. I drove by the post office on my way to the store. The parking lot was completely full and the line of people waiting to mail packages was very, very long.

I went to the store, which was also packed. My intentions were to pick up only some fresh vegetables, bagels, and cream cheese. That was all I wanted. Of course, when I walked through the frozen food section on my way to pick up the cream cheese, I saw a sign:

Tombstone Pizza
3 for $10

I told myself I didn't need a pizza, let alone three pizzas, but I guess I am a sucker for sophisticated advertising. Even though I know I could have bought one pizza for $3.34, I walked out with three pizzas. Two of them will probably be sitting in my freezer for several weeks, but I guess I might as well cook one of them up for tonight and to give me something to munch on tomorrow.

When I got out of the store, I discovered that my initial estimate of midnight for the snow to start was off by about 10 hours. The road was already getting a pretty good layer of slush on it from the snow.

Fortunately, by the time I got to the post office, the line had diminished substantially and I was in and out of there in about 10 minutes. I was able to successfully complete all of my errands and get home. Now I should be able to enjoy the snow from the comfort of my living room and not have to worry about driving around town until they start getting the roads cleaned up. Let it snow.

5 comments:

blunoz said...

Very wise stocking up and settling in while the first round of winter road accidents happen. I'm a little envious of the snow though. They predicted we were going to have snow last night. I woke up this morning, went and peeked out the window... nope! Just rain. Lots of COLD COLD WET RAIN. Yech.

reddog said...

For me, the storm will mean cooler nights with maybe some rain. The days will be clear, cool and eventually nice views of the local mountains with a topping of snow. Supposed to start late Sunday, early Monday.

Are there any frozen pizzas that are any good? I've never found any. Then again, I haven't tried a lot of frozen pizzas. There is a cheap local chain place just around the corner called Whatalottapizza, that will sell you a halfway decent large pie for about $6 and a little bit farther is a Pizza Hut. I like their pan pizzas. Two topping medium for about $9.

I have a friend that makes Pizza from scratch. Costs almost nothing to make but it's pretty labor intensive. When he does it he usually invites a crowd. It's just as easy to make twenty pies as one. YUM!If I bring some beer, I can eat all I want. Doesn't happen too often.

Navy Blue Cougar said...

When I got up this morning, there was perhaps an inch of snow on the ground. Not too bad. It looks like it has picked up quite a bit in the last few hours, though. I think that they are calling for about 6 inches of total accumulation now.

As far as frozen pizzas go, I like Tombstone pizzas the best, but I wouldn't pay much more than three bucks for one. They are not too bad.

I don't eat pizza all that often. I normally get a pizza from Papa Murphy's when I do eat them. They usually have a pretty good deal on one or two types of pizzas and then you take it home to cook it. Papa Murphy's is a regional chain and I am not sure how widespread they are.

Anonymous said...

I just got back from the QFC here in Bremerton this morning, and I did the same thing.

I also could have bought one pizza for $3.34. But I bought 3 tombstones as well, while buying a ham, a pair of roasts and everything else that the girlfriend put on my list. I figure it's always nice to have a few frozen items handy when we don't have people over and don't feel like cooking. I'm also a fan of Papa Murphy's too.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks, J.

Anonymous said...

Had to laugh at the stats on your locale and the drivers status. Smart move getting done and in early.

And I firmly believe (for myself anyhow) that no errand that is ever intended to be quick actually ends up being quick.

This is the 2nd year in the last 3 that I have had to go grocery shopping ON CHRISTMAS EVE, not to buy goods for making a feast, but rather just to restock my pantry and fridge from a PCS move. Fun trying to piece together food to live on from the slim pickings left after 3/4 of Big Navy has done all their big dinner shopping.