Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Presidential Debate

I am watching a repeat of the debate on television now. Unfortunately, this week has been jam-packed for me, between exams, reports, and job interviews, so I wasn't able to watch the debate live.

My impressions so far:

Obama: I think you are a fantastic candidate, but when the moderator tells you that you are out of time, wrap it up. I agree with your positions on health care (I mean that I think it should be a right) and I like the fact that you are thoughtful and avoid making rash statements.

McCain: I am glad that, for the most part, you avoided the smear and attacks tonight. I have regained a large measure of respect for you personally. Please reign in your campaign managers. You have served your country with honor and dignity in the past and hope that you will continue to do so in the future.

This debate did not change my mind. I supported Obama before and I continue to support him now.

I certainly hope that Obama wins the election. I hope that McCain continues to serve his country. It may just be a pipe dream on my part, but I would love to see Obama win and would love to see McCain retire from the senate and take up a role such as Secretary of Defense or National Security Adviser. Well, thinking on it a little more, I know that it is a pipe dream, but after years of sleeping in big pipes far under the ocean, I guess I have had a lot of pipe dreams.

I believe that in most areas, the Democrats have better ideas, but I can't recall ever voting a straight party ticket. I usually vote for some Democrats and some Republicans. They both have a lot to offer the nation, but I think a mix and a balance of both are appropriate.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Steve,

I have to disagree with the contention that health care is a "right." And, I would think a former Constitutional Law professor would be a little more circumspect when it comes to what are "rights," guaranteed under our Constitution, and what fall somewhere below "rights."

Call me old fashioned, but I think that rights are codified in the Constitution, and I don't see where health care shows up there. Of course, I'm not stupid enough to think that some judge, someday, won't invent a "right" to health care, and I have little doubt that those judges will be appointed by someone like Obama.

Of course, if one believes we have a "right" to health care today, then we need to do something immediately, since there are over 40M people who are being denied their rights. What kind of government, Dem and Rep, would allow such a subversion of our "rights."

Seriously, though, if people really think health care should be a right, why not propose a Constitutional amendment and make it clear?

As to what it should be? Perhaps not a right, but the Congress can, in the absence of a right delineated in the Constitution, make it law.

I don't think the debate over rights, obligations, whatever is meaningful. It's pablum. If Congress decides that the will of the people is that we offer universal health care, and that the government will guarantee it, that is, indeed their prerogative. They should debate it and exercise it.

Saying you agree with Obama because he thinks it is a "right" seems like pretty thin logic.

Anonymous said...

well why both dont listen to moderator?

Navy Blue Cougar said...

Jay,

I absolutely agree that health care is not a constitutional right. I am in favor of universal health care. My parents are both retired and have always been very responsible about maintaining their coverage, but I see it eating up a bigger chunk of their income every year that goes by.

I think that our nation has reached a point where health care can be provided for everyone. I am not advocating a particular plan. I admit that I wouldn't know how to go about standing up a national health care system. I sometimes hear people say that Canadians hate their health care system, that people are dropping dead waiting for operations. I like to think that we can do better than Canada.

I sometimes look at the CIA fact book (or something like that...not sure of the exact name). I see that Canada, France, and England all have longer life expectancies than we do in America. Is this because of their health care systems? I don't know for sure, but I am inclined to believe that it helps.

Obama feels strongly about health care. While I support universal health care, I don't believe I will see it happen in my lifetime. The debate, however, will probably result in incremental changes that will improve access to health care. We might get there slowly, but I want us to keep moving in that direction.

Thanks you for sharing your opinion.