Monday, October 27, 2008

Disturbing News Item

I wish I could say that this kind of report surprised me, but I have been expecting that some white supremacist group or individual would eventually get it in their head to take a shot at Barack Obama. Apparently, a couple of nuts decided they were going to make themselves famous by killing 102 people at a predominantly African-American high school, and then go on a killing spree culminating with an assassination attempt on Obama. Luckily, the ATF was on the ball here, and put a stop to it before they went ahead with the attempt.

"Jim Cavanaugh, special agent in charge of ATF's Nashville field office, said the two men planned to shoot 88 black people and decapitate another 14. The numbers 88 and 14 are symbolic in the white supremacist community.

The men also sought to go on a national killing spree after the Tennessee murders, with Obama as its final target, Cavanaugh told The Associated Press."


Link to the Associated Press Story

I had a discussion with my dad and my uncle several months ago, about whether this sort of thing would happen or not. My dad felt that we were far enough along as a nation that Obama would not be a target because of his race. My uncle and I thought there might be a chance of something like this happening. Of course, we were talking of a more immediate threat, so I don't know if this really fits in with the discussion that we had.

I wonder if this is the first serious threat, or just the first one we have been told about. I guess for now, I will just say Bravo Zulu to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Keep up the good work, boys.



2 comments:

beebs said...

The plot looks pretty thin. About the only real charge the ATFE has is the sawed off shotgun. That's illegal unless registered with the ATFE.

"Threatening to conspire" and "Threatening a presidential candidate" are very weak charges. I'll bet most of it was boasting in a bar.

reddog said...

It is disturbing but I don't think these two were really players.