Monday, October 6, 2008

It's Good to be Rich

A Russian billionaire, Roman Abramovich, is having a $400 million dollar yacht built. Now, in and of itself, this is probably not particularly interesting news unless you happen to be the salesman taking home a commission for this purchase.

What I find interesting about this yacht is that it has some features that I would not have considered putting on board a yacht. For example, it includes armor plating and bulletproof windows on the bridge and around Abromovich's cabin. I guess the poor schmucks that run the yacht don't rate that kind of protection. In addition, it will come equipped with a radar system designed to give them early warning of a missile attack, a helipad, and even a mini-submarine capable of diving to 160 feet which can be used to escape from the yacht in the event of an attack.

I know that pirate attacks are a very real concern these days, but where the heck does the guy plan on sailing this thing. The Straits of Malaka or maybe off the coast of Somalia? Well, to each his own, I guess.

Here is a link to an article that includes a conceptual drawing of the yacht. Looks pretty cool.

And I would also like to send out a belated Happy Birthday to Hooters. Hooters is celebrating 25 years of being "delightfully tacky, yet unrefined." Congratulations.

1 comment:

reddog said...

If I was a Russian billionaire, considering the World situation and the places I might be going, I would want a weapons suite with at least some good surface to air and surface to surface capability, with computerized tracking and targeting. I wouldn't think it need be heavy hitting but reliable and accurate. The kind of stuff you could cannibalize off an old jet fighter or ground attack plane.

Better safe than sorry.