Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Tea Party

I read about the nutty guy in Texas that flew his plane into the IRS building in Austin. I read his last note or suicide note or whatever it is that you want to call it. I can actually agree with some of the sentiments expressed in there, but I think advocating violence against the IRS and then actually carrying out a suicide attack on the IRS is pretty nuts.

I also read several comments that readers had submitted. I don't find much funny about this situation, but a lot of the comments make me laugh. Right-wing nutjobs and Left-wing nutjobs are both trying to claim that the suicide pilot is a liberal (from the right-wing nutjobs) and a conservative (from the left-wing nutjobs). Having read the note, I had to agree with the comment that basically said the guy was nuts and his political beliefs are all over the map. It was a pretty rambling note.

I did read a political piece of news about a gathering of the Tea Party in Clarkston, WA. Apparently, one of their speakers want to kill one of our United States Senators. She said:
"How many of you have watched the movie Lonesome Dove?," asked one speaker from the podium. "What happened to Jake when he ran with the wrong crowd? What happened to Jake when he ran with the wrong crowd. He got hung. And that's what I want to do with Patty Murray."
Pretty classy group of people that gather at Tea Parties. I kind of thought that some of them were well meaning people, in spite of the somewhat racist signs and thoughtless comments that I have seen and heard attributed to them.

She was at least sincere enough to allow her comment to be recorded on video and preserved for posterity. You can watch it here if you want. The video clip is cut a little short after the comment so it is difficult to judge the reaction of the crowd, but if she feels that she is among people that think that murdering an elected official is an appropriate comment or a funny joke, that tells me what kind of people that she thinks are in the party.

Maybe I will go to an anti-Tea Party gathering when they have a Tea Party around here. After seeing this video, I have absolutely no respect for them.

Screw 'em!!

4 comments:

Jay said...

I generally like your blog, but, every movement has its fringes. For 8 years, those on the right had to endure this kind of crap or
maybe you missed these people? or Or these

Jay said...

Corrected second link

Navy Blue Cougar said...

Nope. I didn't forget them. I remember when I was on the Big Island of Hawaii and stopped for lunch. I walked around the back of the restaurant and seen a bulletin board that had a picture of Bush depicted as Adolf Hitler. It disgusted me.

Overall I don't think George W Bush was a very good president. Still, even as a liberal, I appreciate that he helped provide poor African nations with mosquito netting to help prevent malaria. I just disagreed with many of his priorities and think that the country was moving in the wrong direction under his leadership.

I am not convinced that this is only representative of the fringes of this movement.

Anyway, thanks for your comments, Jay.

Anonymous said...

The tea party movement is grass-roots, but a very few at the top are getting very rich.

beebs