Monday, April 27, 2009

A Nasty Tumble

People run up and down the stairs outside my apartment at all hours of the day and night and it sounds like a small train running through my living room. This is frequently accompanied by laughter and yelling.

Last night, while I was sitting in my living room, I heard someone going down the stairs much more rapidly and making even more noise than usual and letting out a small scream at the same time. Something about the noise made me concerned and I poked my head out the door to see if something was wrong. There was a coffee cup laying on its side at the top of the stairs and a young Asian girl laying on her side at the bottom of the stairs where she had landed after tumbling down the stairs.

She got to her feet as I was walking down the stairs to check on her. I asked her if she needed help or wanted me to call somebody or get somebody for her. She insisted she was okay and limped around trying to find her coffee cup. I grabbed her cup for her and asked her again if she was okay. She sat on the bottom stair and said she would be fine, that she just wanted to sit for a moment. I stayed and talked with her for a few minutes to make sure she was coherent. Eventually, I decided she was probably alright and she didn't seem to want me around to babysit her.

I went back inside my apartment and poked my head out a few minutes later. She was gone. I guess since she was able to get up and walk away and since I didn't see any blood, she must have been okay. Still, even if you can walk away relatively unscathed, a big tumble down a flight of concrete steps seems like it would suck.

5 comments:

beebs said...

I was sharpening a pencil one Sunday morning. Of course, the pencil sharpener was atop the stairs, and I was standing on a chair. I was eight years old.

You guessed it. Down the stairs I went, chair and all. I was figuring at the time that I would get to stay home from church. That didn't work out.

blunoz said...

I had just come down the weapons shipping hatch ladder from where it was raining topside during a port call in Chin Hae, Korea. I slipped and fell down the ladder (stairs) from the command passageway into FCML. As I was tumbling down the stairs, it was like my life was in slow motion. I had quite the conversation with myself speculating how many bones I was going to break and which hospital they were going to take me to and which poor Nav back in CONUS was going to get sent over to take my place on deployment while I got medevaced, etc. In the end, I was in a clump at the bottom of the ladder in a lot of pain, but luckily only took some bad bruises, broke my glasses and broke my palm pilot screen. It was pretty scary to live through, but glad I didn't break anything or have to get medevaced.

beebs said...

When the COB and I were rigging topside for dive, he dropped the large wrench used to secure the weapons shipping hatch from topside down to OPSUL where I was standing.

It glanced off my forehead and left an ugly bruise and knot. Of course, the XO sent me to see the corpsman. I told the corpsman I'd let him know if I got worse. No rest for the wicked

Navy Blue Cougar said...

I seen a guy get hit with a can when he was manning the forward escape trunk during a stores load. He had a pretty nasty gash and needed some stitches.

If I had to choose between taking a header down the ladder to FCML or falling into the water in Chin Hae, I don't know which I would choose. Tough choice.

bothenook said...

i was the Shutdown Roving Watch during a refueling overhaul on the pierwolf. they were in the ripout phase, and the whole boat was a mess of jumbled piping and vent ducting. i stepped off the duct i just climbed over 20 minutes earlier, and went into free-fall. luckily, the deck they removed had a combing around it, so i was able to snag it with my fingertips. ended up with 6 broken ribs, but that was a lot better than falling all the way down into after aux onto all of the free standing pipe hangers where the CO2 scrubbers used to be.
i had a couple of days off, but was back on the watchbill when my duty day rotated back around
fast attack tuff!